These are permanent part time positions with on-site training provided. The successful applicants will become competent in the day-to-day running of Respect Inc sex worker-only drop-in.
The Male Peer Educator (Meanjin) will also become skilled at engaging with other male sex workers. This role is 5 hours a week, undertaken at the Respect Inc Meanjin Office (Spring Hill), and will be filled by a male.
The Trans Women peer educator (Yugambeh) will also become skilled at engaging with other trans women sex workers. This role is 4 hours a week, undertaken at the Respect Inc Yugambeh Office (Southport), and will be filled by a transgender woman.
Primary Duties of Peer Educators at Respect Inc
- Establish and maintain regular and ongoing contact with sex workers to provide education, information, support and referral on sex work-related issues including accessing private, brothel, escort and street-based workers, and other sex workers on a regular basis.
- Deliver HIV/AIDS education, sexual health referrals and other health promotion programs targeting sex workers.
- Conduct workshops on workplace health and safety strategies and development for sex workers and training in areas relevant to sex workers. Hold events of interest to sex workers.
- Promote membership and community involvement in Respect Inc.
- Foster peer education strategies to promote HIV and sexual health awareness and support among sex workers and participate in community development activities using workplace health and safety issues as a vehicle for supporting and fostering networks and building sex worker community capacity.
- Promote other Respect Inc services to sex workers including distribution of inexpensive and free safer sex products to sex workers. Maintain relevant financial accountability processes including stock control, cash handling, monthly bank deposits and communication relating to these activities in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a strictly confidential environment.
- Contribute to the operation and development of Respect Inc programs, projects, organisation and team. Participate in regular supervision, use accountability mechanisms as outlined in Respect Inc Policy and Procedures, and work within the aims, philosophy and values of the organisation.
- Work in conjunction with other government and non-government organisations on specific projects and service provision in consultation with the State Coordinator in accordance with our Strategic and Annual Forward plans.
- Compile and collate data and prepare reports, including monthly reports and other documents as required by the State Coordinator.
- Attend HIV/AIDS, STI and related health training workshops and professional training development in order to maintain a current knowledge of health issues relevant to sex workers (individual professional development needs and desires will be negotiated annually as part of the staff performance appraisal process).
- Contribute positively to the work environment and ensure a welcoming atmosphere within the workplace. Work collaboratively and within a team.
- Undertake other duties as directed by the State Coordinator.
All peer educator positions work under the direction of the State Coordinator to develop, implement, evaluate and manage peer education activities aimed at the occupational health and safety conditions for sex workers within the philosophy and policy framework of the organisation.
Staff are employed under the SCHCDS (Social Community Home Care and Disability Services) Industry Award 2010. This position will be paid at Permanent Part Time Level 4.1.
Only sex workers past and present need apply.
The Male Peer Educator role will be filled by a male.
The Trans Women Peer Educator role will be filled by a trans woman.
Work hours are carried out on site at the relevant Respect Inc office, during drop-in opening times.
The hours are not flexible. These are not work-from-home positions.
Respect Inc is unable to pay for relocation costs for applicants.
Respect Inc does not have the resources to sponsor work visas for applicants.
As per National Employment Standards, there is a probationary period. During that period either party can terminate the contract.
Excellent team work and time management skills are necessary to be able to achieve the objectives of these roles.