This submission addresses the repeal of the Sex Worker Offences Bill 2020.
Removing sex work from the Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935 and Summary Offences Act 1953 is an important first step to support sex worker rights and health and safety.
Respect Inc. supports the Statutes Amendment (Repeal of Sex Work Offences) Bill 2020.
The submission discusses the amendments proposed in the bill:
- Part 2, 4, Amendment of Section 5, Definition of Common Prostitute (Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935)
- Part 2, 5, Amendment of Section 270, Punishment for certain offences
- Part 2, 6, Variation of Schedule 11, Abolition of certain offences (Summary Offences Act 1953), and Part 3, 9 and 10, Repeal of Sections 25, 25A and 26 and Part 6
- Part 3, 7, Amendment of Section 4, Delete Definition of Common Prostitute
- Part 3, 8, Amendment of Section 21, The word ‘prostitute’ associated with criminal behaviour to be deleted.